Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Blog Post 3

Peer editing according to the video "What is Peer Editing" means working with someone your own age to help improve, revise, and edit his or her writing. The video teaches that there is three steps that are important to follow when you are participating in peer reviews. Step one is always start with a compliment. It is important to stay positive and try to consider the feeling of the person you are reviewing. Step two is to give the writer specific ideas about how to make their writing better. Step three, when making corrections check for punctuation, grammar, sentences, and spelling. After watching the video I believe I will be a better person giving peer reviews. I am usually worried about offending someone or making them feel inadeqaute. I now know I am only hindering the other person by not helping them try to improve their writing.

"Writing Peer Reviews Top 10 Mistakes" was a very interesting video that gave examples of what not to do. The narrator gave the example of "Jean the Generalizer." Unfortunately I can relate because like I said earlier I am worried about hurting someone's feelings. Another skit in the video was "Mean Margaret." She was too critical of her partner's writing and even asked "Are you dumb." There were many other examples that were very true and need to be acknoweledged before participating in a peer review. I feel that we should all take a lesson from the children in the video so we can grow and be better in the future.

writing

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely, I hate hurting someone's feelings especially a child! "What is Peer Editing" is a terrific video that gives three steps to help revise, improve, and edit the paper without making the other person feel bad. I will definitely take this with me when I become a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way. Anytime I am editing or critiquing someone else's work, I am afraid to actually say how I feel for fear or hurting someone's feelings or offending them. "What is Peer Editing" is a great resource for learning how to properly peer edit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can learn from the children. I agree!

    Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget to include links in your posts! Otherwise, good job.

    ReplyDelete