Sunday, June 15, 2014

Blog Post 6

Mr. Antony Capps, a former EDM310 student, discusses with Dr. Strange the importance of Discovery Education.

He states, "Whatever text article you can give a child, if you can couple it with visual they will retain a lot more. I find this to be very true in my own learning experience. I can read an article multiple times but whenever my instructor coupled it with a movie or even audio clip I had a better sense of what they wanted me to learn. I believe this appeals to most students at all ages. Using multiple learning styles helps to reinforce the content. I am a hands on learner in most circumstances, but when teaching a subject, such as English, it can be hard to provide students with a hands on method. This is why I have always supported educational videos like, School House Rock, to reinforce the material being discussed. Mr. Capps also talks about how letting students use technology helps to enrich their research experience and helps bring the text to life. I feel that if I had more teachers in elementary and middle school that would have allowed us time in a discovery lab I would have been better equipped once I reached the high school and college level have a better grasp on leaning on myself to research a topic and find credible resources.

Anthony Capps and Dr. Strange had another online meeting ad discussed what it takes to build a good lesson plan by using a "staircase" method.

In Additional thoughts about Learning Lessons, Mr. Anthony Capps discusses how a lesson is 4 layers thick.

1. The first layer is covering the material in within certain a time frame. He tells us to keep in mind when making a lesson plan to be realistic and ensuring yourself that you can cover the content and all of the standards within one fiscal year.

2. The second layer is the Unit. Have unit projects set up in a way that is meaningful and blends leading into the upcoming unit.

3. The next layer is how you devise your weekly plan needs to also be meaningful with a purpose. Ensuring the content is on track and still coinciding with the rest of the necessary standards.

4. The last layer is the daily plan. This is how you will deliver the content and allow them to discover it.

I am certainly going to remember these steps once I start my career in order to have an organized, successful plan.

calendar

1 comment:

  1. "He states, "Whatever text article you can give a child, if you can couple it with visual they will retain a lot more." Be sure to proofread and close your quotation marks.

    Also, be sure to include alt and title modifiers on all pictures in your blog posts.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete