Saturday, June 7, 2014

Blog Post 4

  In the right way to ask questions in the classroom the author says, "Have you ever thought about how silly we teachers can be? When we get in front of students, we present ourselves to be the ones with all of the answers, and then after we talk with the students, we start asking questions as if we don't know anything we just talked about." The author, Ben Johnson, continues to explain the reason most teachers use this method is to check the students understanding of the concept. The downside to asking questions is it may exclude some students from trying to answer because they have become dependant on the students that always give the answer. The author states, "if the students know the question will be open to the entire class, then most likely two-thirds of the class will not even pay attention and continue doodling or daydreaming.

  The approach the author views to be the most effective would be to ask the question, pause, then assign it to a student. Johnson believes this will make a lasting impression on the class as a whole by keeping them on their toes. My personal experience seems to back up his views. When I am aware the teacher will ask open questions I tend to allow my mind to drift from the topic, especially if it is a subject I do not find intriguing.I plan try to be more mindful of this technique when I begin my teaching career. I want my students to have a more engaging experience with me and among themselves during discussions.

classroom

1 comment:

  1. Overall, good job.

    Be sure to include working links in every blog post.

    Also be sure to proofread for minor errors.

    ReplyDelete