Sunday, June 29, 2014

Blog Post 9

Seven Essentials for Project Based Learning

In the Seven Essentials for Project Based Learning the author discusses how every project must fulfill two criteria to make it meaningful. One that students need to find it as personally meaningful. This is a task that will make them want to do the project well. Secondly, that a meaningful project should fulfill an educational purpose. The authors, Mr. Larmer and Mr. Mergendoller, discuss is the seven elements to make a project a success.

1. Need to Know

2. A Driving Question

3. Student Voice and Choice

4. 21st Century Skills

5. Inquiry and Innovation

6. Feedback and Revision

7. A Publicly Presented Product

I feel that I will keep these seven elements close to me when I am teaching that way I can ensure the success rate in m students.

In Project Based Learning for Teachers

It states how PBL has students working over an extended period of time answering a driving question. The question is deep and requires students to complete a product and share their new knowledge with others. It shows how Common Core Standards are the what. PBL is the how. While meeting standards and creating a product students learn how to collaborate and communicate with others, they learn critical thinking skills as well as career and life skills. I know I have certainly learned or improved in all of these categorizes by taking EDM310. I am thrilled to share my new found excitement using PBL with my students.

What Motivates Students? I have learned that every child is different but all students feel motivated when they are praised for doing something well. Other students are self motivated because of a future goal or dream. In the video one child reminded me of myself when I was younger talking about how he was motivated because if he did not do well he would not be able to do his extracurricular activities. My mother was always hard of me about my grades and would take my tv, phone, or not allow me to do something special away very quickly. Regardless all children like to be rewarded for their accomplishments and I plan to capitalize on all the good things they do in my classroom.

Project Based Learning in PE

I know this is terrible of me as a future educator but I honestly had no idea you could incorporate PBL in Physical Education. I never had to take PE in high school because I cheered and that counted as my credit. After reading this it opened my eyes to having PE students do a project on a fitness program could not only effect them while in high school but farther in life as well. I believe all students need to stay healthy and this would be a great resource for them.

1 comment:

  1. I loved how you made a personal connection to "What Motivates Students?". My father was very strict on good grades and if I did not do well he would take my favorite thing away. You did great summarizing these four post up!

    ReplyDelete